The first building consecrated for use as an Anglican Church in Wembley was a small wood and iron hall that was built using volunteer labour on land overlooking Herdsman lake, between Simper and Marlow streets. It was consecrated by Archbishop Riley on the 18th November 1917 and was dedicated to St Edmund, king and martyr. To meet the needs of a growing population, a timber hall was erected in Pangbourne Street (where the Koh-I-Nor nursing home now stands) in 1931. The original church building from Herdsman was added to the new hall, thus establishing the Parish of Wembley/Jolimont. As the area continued to grow with the development of post war housing, there was an increasing need for a more permanent church. It was not until 1952, when the Revd Jack Watts accepted leadership of the parish, that the project became a reality. The new church was designed by Victorian Architect Louis R. Williams FRAIA in association with Mr R. Blanchard FRAIA of Perth. Construction was carried out by Harnett and Horner at the cost, including furniture, of 40,000 pounds. The consecration by Archbishop Moline on the 4th of August 1956 was attended by over one thousand people.
The Pipe Organ
Our organ – over a century old – was purchased in Great Yarmouth, UK and is located in the loft at the rear of the church. It was originally built by William Christmas Mack, a successful organ builder for over 40 years. The organ was shipped to Australia and rebuilt at St Edmund’s by a group of parishioners during 1993/94. One of the interesting aspects of this organ is that it is all mechanical, the only electrical operation being the bellows.
The Rose Window
The rose window is the work of Mr D. Taylor Kelloch FRSA. His design symbolizes the centrality of God the Holy Spirit in our lives. The flames may be read as symbols of fervour, purification, retribution and sacrifice.
The Font Bowl
The Parish Hall
The Memorial Gardens
Thanks to the work of a group of parish enthusiasts the gardens around the church provide pleasure for all. A walk around the gardens will reveal memorials to many former members of the parish.